This fall could be challenging for homeowners – we’ve had a lot of unpredictable weather this year that is expected to continue. Your house could be more vulnerable to water damage from thunderstorms or unexpected leaks. But fortunately, you have a few options when it comes to protecting your house. Here are some ways that you can help combat water damage.
Water damage can cause damaged flooring, mold, mildew, and potentially render your home legally uninhabitable.
There are a number of reasons why basements flood. Some reasons include when stormwater or ground water seeps into the home (drainage failure) due to:
- A crack or leak in your home’s foundation, basement walls, or basement windows or doors
- Poor lot grading or drainage
- Failure of the weeping tile system (foundation drains)
- Failure of a sump pump (in some homes) used to pump accumulated water
- Overflowing eavestroughs
- Leaking or plugged downspouts
- A sewer back-up caused by a blocked or overwhelmed sewer pipe. These blockages are typically caused by items that are incorrectly flushed or poured down the drain. Tree roots and broken or cracked sewer pipes can also cause blockages
Water is insidious and can cause substantial damage in a short period of time. Each home is different. There are so many factors that come into play when it comes to keeping your basement dry. While each situation is different, the best policy is always prevention rather than repair. Taking steps to waterproof your basement before water is present is the best course of action.
While it is often tempting to save money now by ignoring the problem, waiting to address your basement waterproofing can lead to much bigger bills in the future. Reach out to set up an appointment with Homeservice Club’s Waterproofing Experts today!