November and December is vacation time in Ontario. But before you head out, make sure your home will be secure in your absence. Here are some tips from Homeservice Club™ to make your home a safer place:
- Secure sliding glass doors with anti-slide and anti-lift bars.
- House numbers should be clearly visible from the street to allow quick response by emergency services. Consider illuminated numbers for added visibility.
- Install deadbolt locks on basement and garage doors as well as entrance doors. The deadbolt should be at least an inch long and the strike plate should be secured into the door framing stud.
- Check that exterior doors are properly hung, with the hinge pins located on the inside: otherwise the door can be simply lifted off its hinges with a screwdriver.
- Have a monitored security system installed for total peace of mind. Many insurance companies offer up to 15% discount on policies for homes equipped with alarm systems.
- Alarm systems are now available to suit all budgets; some, like the Homeservice Club Security Plan, are free with the small monthly cost of monitoring, starting at $20.
- Consider installing a smoke detector in the garage, especially if it is attached to the house.
- Garages and garden sheds can provide a thief with the necessary tools to break into your home. Keep them locked and store ladders out of sight.
- Make sure the exterior lighting at your home is a deterrent to would-be burglars. Illuminate dark corners of the yard with motion-sensing floodlights, replace burned-out bulbs in exterior light fixtures immediately, install inexpensive motion-sensing lights near entrances, garage doors, walkways and porches.
- Place landscape lights, porch lights, a few interior lights, and a radio on timers so it looks – and sounds – like somebody is home.
Homeservice Club™ alarms can be elaborate or simple to suit your individual needs. Monitoring is also available for CO detectors, low temperature detectors, water sensors and medic alerts.
Don’t make your home easy pickings for the bad guys.
ASK ABOUT THE CLUB’S FREE SECURITY SYSTEM WITH LOW, MONTHLY MONITORING RATES – (416) 925-1111