As an autumn chill creeps into the days, homeowners should be thinking of getting their homes ready for the winter months ahead. Getting a jump on some of the fall maintenance chores will still leave lots of time for enjoying the remaining days of summer. Here are some of the things that might need to be on your fall job list:
- Make sure your heating system is operating safely and efficiently before the weather turns. Have furnace or heating system serviced by a qualified service company every two years for a gas furnace, and every year for an oil furnace, or as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Check chimneys for obstructions such as nests.
- Arrange to have dead and damaged tree branches removed in the fall.
- If it wasn’t done in the spring, have windows cleaned in the fall to take advantage of solar heat gain and make your home sparkle inside and out.
- Vacuum electric baseboard heaters to remove dust.
- Check that bathroom exhaust fans and range hood fans are operating properly. You can confirm that there is good airflow by observing the outside vent hood.
- Have carpets cleaned in the fall to remove grime from summer traffic and improve indoor air quality during the winter months.
- Many homes lose up to 20% of heat through leaks and poor ventilation. Before the cold weather hits, check caulking and weatherstripping to ensure a snug seal. Check that all doors to the outside shut tightly, and replace door weatherstripping if required. Ensure windows and skylights close tightly; repair or replace weatherstripping, as needed. Draftproofing your home is one of the fastest payback home heating improvements you can make.
- Replace window screens with storm windows. Remove interior insect screens from windows to reduce condensation and allow more free solar energy into your home.
- Order firewood now for the heating season ahead. If you use your wood-burning fireplace frequently, make sure to have the chimney cleaned and safety checked.
- Book an appointment to have the eaves cleaned and repairs made.
CALL THE CLUB TO GET THE JOB DONE AND SAVE ON HANDYMAN SERVICES IN SEPTEMBER! (416) 925-1111