If you are looking for a durable, practical flooring solution that will add value and beauty to your home, ceramic tile is a smart choice. Not only is it resistant to water, scratches and fire, today’s selection of floor and wall tiles is so varied, that you can achieve any look or style. Ceramic tile has another advantage over other flooring choices, such as carpeting – it is hypo-allergenic making it a good surface choice for homeowners with allergies.
Here are a few tips from the World Floor Covering Association to keep in mind when shopping for ceramic tile:
- Glazed tiles come in matte, semi-gloss or high-gloss finishes. Their durable coating is more water-resistant, fire-resistant, durable and easier to clean than non-glazed tiles.
- Unglazed tiles come in a variety of textures and are often used for outdoor applications.
- Porcelain tiles are the toughest of the three and can withstand extreme temperatures and are more resistant to scratches.
- Tile is easy to maintain – regular sweeping and a wash with soap and water is all that’s needed to keep a tile floor looking good.
- If the coldness of tile is a concern, tile can be installed over radiant heating for a wonderful warmth in bathrooms.
- Tile can be slippery when wet. For this reason, they come with a COF (Coefficient of Friction) rating between 0 and 1.0 – the higher the rating, the more slip-resistant the surface. A test rating of about .6 is recommended for bathrooms.
- When deciding on the size of tile for your project, consider that using a larger tile in a smaller room can visually increase the size of the space while creating a cleaner surface with fewer grout lines.
- Grout colour can dramatically change the appearance of a ceramic tile floor. Generally, using a white or a light coloured grout brings out the colour of the tile. Choosing a dark grout with a light tile, or light grout with a dark tile, however, highlights the grout, itself, and therefore emphasizes the geometric pattern of the tile design.
- Keep some spare tiles from the original installation for repairs down the road.
- When choosing tile for high-traffic areas, such as hallways or entranceways, remember that ceramic tiles that are pale in colour with no minor grain or pattern can look dirty quickly.
Ceramic tile offers homeowners almost endless design possibilities. A professional can help guide you in your choices, and work with you to create a floor that suits your lifestyle and decor, and offers lasting – low-maintenance – beauty.
SAVE $75 ON FLOOR TILE INSTALLATIONS BOOKED BEFORE SEPTEMBER 30, 2016